Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Real Challenge

I have a small creative side. Really I have a giant spot in my brain just for creative ideas, however the link from brain to reality is much too small. In fact going from head to paper seems almost impossible at times and if I get the urge to try and sketch an idea is looks as if a drawing my 3 1/2 year old did and I should hang it on the fridge and not take credit for it.
If I am taught techniques I might be able to get from head to paper, then to rough draft, then to a re-do, then maybe to a finished product. Usually some of  the ideas were scrapped by the final draft due to the above mentioned problem. And the overall product has been incredibly simplified due to lack of time to work on it or young children wanting to help. In certain situations I can give Big Girl J something similar to play with so I can do 'my thing.'
One thing I wish I could do better is cake. So one day of shopping at the local craft store I found a flier for cake decorating classes at half off!??!?!? What, a discount of course I'll take it, heck give me two. Oh, sorry, that is my cheap side coming out. So I talked to the Husband and we decided this was a good time to do it, if I really wanted to.
So I signed up, went and got my kit for class 1, and went to the thrift store to find a container to put my little pieces in. I found a purple caboodle, for $2. This makes me very happy because I always wanted one, but by the time my big sisters were ready to hand their caboodle down to me, it was no longer cool, a problem I had with clothes also growing up. But now the caboodle is so beyond cool, it is smokin'!
I embark on the journey of leaning another craft. I have learned many crafts. Some get regular use and others not so much. But this craft I wanted for my girls. My goal from these classes are to make sure my girls always remember how cool their homemade, not store bought, birthday cakes were/ are.
I would get in to the description of cake I had made, but I will save that for a blog when I can learn how to post pictures to this. The real point of this blog is to start a 'series' of blog leading up to a big event.
I found, online, a Colorado cake decorationg club. And that they have a yearly competition in Denver during a home and garden show. I have a step-sister, still in high school, who has also found a love in cake decorating. For Christmas I gave her the paper work and a blank check to pay for her entry fee, and we will do this together. She loved it! Of course.
After seeing the categories and divisions (I will be division 4, beginner adults, because anyone who is not a beginner would put my cake to shame,) I had a few nights before I mentioned to my Husband that I wanted to do this. And in those few nights that creative side of my brain started to create this massive idea of a cake Christmas tree put together in a similar way to those stacked star sugar cookies, but with cake! Of course that was a few months ago and in my 'template' drawings I haven't been able to make this work. Until now, maybe. I cut my templates today on how I will cut my cake and put it together. Husband and I went to the hardware store to find a good size of board to make this work. I am getting closer to getting this idea out of my head and on to cake board.
Of course there will be more to come on the adventures of this cake. The competition isn't until the 2nd weekend of February.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear/see more! Pictures are a piece of cake (ar, ar, ar!) I will refer you to my tutor, with whom you are already acquainted! You might want to start a Flikr account, if you don't have one, so that you can put all your cake photos there, and have a little 'gallery' in your blog. (If you want to.) I would love to be able to look at all of them in one place!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can help you with photos. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete